Wednesday, August 1, 2012

24.

Birthdays have always been pretty exciting for me.  Maybe I am a little too self-centered, but I LOVE reading each "Happy Birthday" message or text that I receive, and I basically feel like princess for a day.  Justin calls me the "Little Princess", so I am sure me acting like one comes as no shock to him. 



Growing up, I was obsessed with Cabbage Patch dolls, and as all '90s kids know, each doll came with its own unique birth certificate.  My favorite Cabbage Patch was named Sally, and her birthday was also August 1st.  I carried Sally around with me everywhere, took baths with her, cut all her hair off, and dressed her in lots of different outfits.  Sally was worn and pretty ugly due to the haircut I gave her, but I valued her above all my other Cabbage Patches because she was born on National Brittany Day, and was extra special to me. 


Way cuter than Sally.

I also usually feel a sense of relief whenever my birthday rolls around, because I can say I'm FINALLY 24, or in the past, I'm FINALLY 18, or FINALLY 21.  Since I am an August baby, I was one of the youngest in my class, and I graduated college when I was 21.  At 22, I was the youngest recruiter at college fairs, and at 23, I was the youngest "Senior Alumni Secretary" at Delta State.  So, it seems like I am usually waiting the whole year to catch up in age to those who are in my same class. 

24.  Whoa.  When people usually ask me how old I am, I automatically think "17" in my head.  I feel like the older I get, the more I forget how old I actually am.  But 24- I guess I feel like I never thought I would actually get to this age.  I mean, I still wear headbands and paint my nails crazy colors, for goodness' sake. 

At 24, I have had my third "big girl" job, I have started on my Master's degree, I live in my first real house, and I will get married.  At 24, I have moved to a new town, in a new state, and have made some new friends and rekindled my relationships with old ones.

24 is looking pretty good, as is this new step in my life.  I'll be spending my 24th being trained in how to fill out I-9 forms at work.  Not so glamorous (for a princess ;) I know, but there is no other place I would rather be.  I get to wake up in my own house, kiss my sweet animal sons goodbye, come to work at a job that I have been blessed with, and see my sweetie when it's over.  I am really liking this adult-ness, and am looking forward to what the year brings.  Maybe I can just bypass all other birthdays and stay 24 forever?

Let's make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment